http://experiencealife.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Juicing with Type 1

During the past couple years, I have juiced off and on. Now, both Tony and I are doing it frequently. If not all day, then at least most of the day - as long as we have produce.

   At first, I was reluctant with my Type 1, but after reading numerous health benefits of juicing, I thought it would be worth the go. And boy howdy! Is it!
   Since I started juicing regularly again, my insulin intake has gone way down. I've cut my Novolog intake almost in half. And my blood sugars have been steady. They are on the lower end of normal, which makes me a little nervous, but all I have to do is take less insulin.
   I have also experimented with eating a variety of solid foods in small amounts. It is astounding at how much my blood sugar climbs when I eat a piece of bread or an egg. If I stick with my juicing, it is under better control.
   Of course, the majority of what I juice are vegetables. I do a lot of celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes. I add one piece of fruit to make it more palatable. One of my favorite juices that is truly delicious and healthy is one peach, three large carrots and a teaspoon of cinnamon. It tastes like you're drinking a peach pie! Of course, the cinnamon has no influence on my blood sugar, as it does not on any Type 1's blood sugar.
   If you are a Type 1 and are considering juicing, I highly recommend it. But, if you do, make sure you check your blood sugar frequently. You don't want to change your diet too drastically without taking appropriate steps to do so. Make sure you get yourself a decent juicer. Tony and I are due for a new one, as we do not think we are getting all of the juice that we could possibly get.
   And, check with your endocrinologist. I'm sure he or she would be on board. Here's to better Type 1 health!

No comments:

Post a Comment