http://experiencealife.blogspot.com/

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Good Foot Care Products for Type 1s

Take care of your feet!
   How many times have we Type 1's heard that? It is drummed into our heads since the day of our diagnosis. And for good reason. Ill cared-for feet can easily become amputated, especially when the blood circulation slows.
   I take care of my feet. Not as well as my endo would like, but I take care of them. And I've proven it to them for the past 28 years. When the endo brings that thread to the bottom of your foot to test how well you can feel, I ace it. And my feet resemble a hobbit's. I have hair on my toes, which I find glorious. It's not pretty, but that means I have damn good circulation and it is something my endo is always happy to see.
   However, my feet are not perfect. For many years (since I was a little kid), my heels have been dry and have a tendency to crack open. My heels and other parts of my feet are now calloused, which leads to further dryness and cracking. The last endo I went to said it was because I walk around with bare feet. I spend a lot of my time inside, so going bare foot is something that I am extremely comfortable with and thoroughly enjoy. But, these past three years, I have begun slathering my feet with creams and wearing socks more often *sob, tear*. All in an effort to keep the cracking at bay. If I stay on top of it, I can go months without a crack and then walking gingerly for a week.
   So, after years of using a variety of products, I will share with you what works best for me. Hopefully, if you have foot care troubles, it will help you.
   First, get a Ped Egg. This really works in reducing my callouses and it makes my feet a little smoother for a time. They are not that expensive and after having the same one for five years, I have not had to replace it yet.
   Get an excellent cream. The best one I have found so far is Dr. Scholls For Her Intensive Heel Repair. This is a miracle worker! After the cracks appear, this helps them to heal quickly and it does its job at keeping the cracks away. But, the last time I ran out, I was unable to find more. I had to use a substitute, which was a poor one at best. Thankfully, my best friend Jana told me about what she uses - Gold Bond Ultimate Diabetic's Dry Skin Relief. It works almost as well as Dr. Scholls. And shout out to Jana for the recommendation!
   So, first use the Ped Egg. Get as much of the callous off as you can. Next, apply the cream to your feet liberally. Put on a comfy pair of socks and keep them on. I suggest doing these steps in the morning, as I hate wearing socks at night. Do this at least four times a week.
   Also, get those pedicures! The person giving you the pedicure is more likely to spot any sores on your feet than you are. And get some bling on your toenails! If you're going to spend money on a pedicure, you might as well walk out with pretty feet.
   I hope this helps you in your quest for healthy Type 1 feet.

2 comments:

  1. Yes this is so true!! Ive worked in health care most of my life and so many people with type one diabetes know that they should take care of their feet but don't! The end results can be super awful!! Thank you for encouraging those who may fall into that category!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is so true!! Ive worked in health care most of my life and so many people with type one diabetes know that they should take care of their feet but don't! The end results can be super awful!! Thank you for encouraging those who may fall into that category!!

    ReplyDelete