http://experiencealife.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Geeked Out!

Ah! Star Wars! Zombie apocalypse! Game of Thrones! Dungeons & Dragons! I have embraced my inner dork proudly and when I saw a Tulsa Comic Expo was going on, Mandy and I made plans to take it in.
   For those who don't know, a comic expo is a gathering place for dorks, geeks, fanboys and fangirls of all types. The king of the comic expos would be Comic Con, which is held in a variety of metro areas throughout the year. Not only are the subjects, such as what I first mentioned, covered, but also board games, video games, science fiction and fantasy books and comic books (of course).
   When we pulled up to the Expo, we saw a Ghostbusters car
parked out front, which prompted my first geek-out of the day. Inside was a giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (also Ghostbusters). And a giant Hulk.
   Now, I was not all gung-ho to attend at first, but when I saw who one of the celebrity guests was, I was all for it! That celebrity guest was Billy Dee Williams aka Lando Calrissian from Star Wars. As a huge Star Wars fangirl, I jump at the chance to meet any member of the original cast. How many have I met? Well, after the Comic Expo - one! And let me say, the experience was . . . I could have gone without it. I guess it really is true - actors are not the characters they play. He was standoffish, quiet and looked like he couldn't wait for Mandy and I to leave his table. We said our good-byes and proceeded to look at yet another table full of fake zombie parts. I'm sure maybe he was just tired. He had been at the Expo all weekend and we went in the middle of the afternoon on Sunday.
   But, one celebrity who made a huge impression on us was Theodus Crane aka Big Tiny from The Walking Dead. And let me tell you about BIG! When he stood up from the table to take a picture with us, I had to look up and I am not a short
Mandy with Theodus Crane. They switched glasses for the photo.
Rather fetching, if you ask me.
female. My husband is 6'2" and Crane made my husband look tiny. Crane stood at 6'8" and was like a giant teddy bear. He was funny. He acted like he enjoyed talking with us. He asked us questions and he answered ours. It was awesome to meet him!

  

Me taking on The Hulk . . . and WINNING!
I totally kicked his butt!
We toured the facility, watched some boffer wars (play weapons), nabbed some free comics, looked at some awesome merchandise and it's a good thing I had no money to begin with, because I would have been broke when I left. I also met a self-published author who gave me some tips on selling my own books (Ethereal Influence: The Inquisition and Ethereal Influence: The Birth - on Amazon). And we encountered several ghost hunting groups who were more than happy to talk to us about ghost hunting and maybe taking us along on one of their excursions.    Whether or not you are a dork, seriously check one of these conventions out. You will pay money to get in, but you see some awesome stuff (I could have bought presents for almost everyone on my Christmas list.) and you have an opportunity to meet some amazing people.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment