http://experiencealife.blogspot.com/

Saturday, June 14, 2014

RIIIIPPPP!!! Goes the Hair

The thought of getting hair ripped out of my skin through waxing was always rather disturbing to me. I can shave it, Nair it, pluck it, whatever I had to do that was relatively painless. Certainly a lot painless than what waxing seemed.
   Heck, the first time I had my brows plucked was after high school. I had a whole werewolf thing going on and was living with my cousin at the time. She made me sit down in a big chair. She (being 100 pounds at the time), kneeled on the arms of the chair and hovered over me with tweezers. I knew it was going to happen whether I liked it or not. Each pluck brought tears to my eyes and especially since I had never plucked before, some of those hairs were very deep. I think I gave a few screams as my cousin ruthlessly attacked my eyebrows. And since she was my cousin, I didn't push her off of me and run for the door. I didn't want to hurt her. I also wanted to have some groomed eyebrows for the first time in my life, so I stuck it out. After 45 minutes of torture, my eyebrows were thinner and groomed and the skin was swollen and pink.
   I have since taken up the task of plucking my own eyebrows. Now, I do not do it as often as I should and when a full moon rises, I should be outside howling. That is when I grab my trusty tweezers and go through the procedure. It is no longer painful, but it takes longer than what I would like because I wait so long in between pluckings. And I do not really enjoy the process. There must be an easier way to do it. But, I cannot afford laser removal yet.
   So, waxing. Yes, waxing seemed like the best time-saving way to take care of my eyebrows. I was going to suck it up, face the pain and get my brows waxed. I called my friend Mandy (who has joined me in my quest to do new things) and we set out to find a salon. It did not take long. Much like getting a manicure, there are a variety of locations in Tulsa that will cater to a woman's waxing needs.
   After a few stops at salons that were either closed for the day, out of business or did not do waxes, we finally found one next to a closed Blockbuster (gonna miss them). Mandy was apprehensive as she does not like people touching her face. I was apprehensive because I do not dig pain. But, we sat down on the hard chairs and waited for the lady to finish her current client.
   The lady walked into the back room and was there for about 5 minutes. She came out and Mandy opted to go first as I continued to wait. Luckily, I did not hear any screams, so I was more at ease. Mandy came out with puffy, pink skin above her eyes, but she said it was not that bad. I was proud of her - that she managed to work through her aversion of people touching her face.
   It was my turn.
   I followed the lady into the back room and she instructed me to sit in the chair. It looked like it belonged in a dentist's office . . . and I HATE the dentist! So, my heart started pounding as I eased myself down. It picked up speed as I leaned back. I clutched my purse to my chest as I laid there, waiting.
   She asked if it was my first time. I obviously looked nervous. I told her it was and she said it would be over very
soon. First was the hot wax above my brow, to take care of all those wayward hairs. Now, I closed my eyes because I figured it would be easier to calm my nerves if I could not see what was going on, if I pretended that I was going to sleep.
   I felt the strip of cloth being applied and some pressure as the lady pressed it down. I steeled myself . . . RIP! OK. That was not bad at all. She did the other side. Again, not that bad. Then, it was time for the underside of my eyebrows. And I heard the phone ring. She answered it as she applied the wax and pressed the cloth down. She was confirming an appointment as she was about to rip my hair out! I think I had some sweat running down my face. Before she hung the phone up, she ripped the cloth off. OUCH! The tears sprang to my eye - the one that was so close to the area of violation - and poured down my cheek.
   "You're OK. We're almost done. Don't cry," the lady said to me.
   "I think those were pretty deep," I told her. "I'm fine. It just surprised me." Yes, I was trying to save face. But, when I had the same reaction with the other brow, I gave myself away as a big weenie.
   I came out of the room with puffy skin and a wet face. Mandy looked a bit alarmed. I assured her I was fine. And my brows remained puffy for the rest of the day. However, I am happy to report that I did not have the need to pluck my brows for quite a few weeks afterward. I was also pleased with the arches that the lady gave me.
   If you are somewhat lazy when it comes to beauty (like me), I would recommend waxing your brows. If you do not enjoy pain or are a weenie, I would not recommend it. Will I do it again? Probably. After all, it only cost me $15. That is not a bad price. It's not going to be an experience that I will repeat frequently - only when I feel lazy enough to not do something about my werewolfiness.  
   Try to wax something - brows, lip, legs - whatever. Bikini wax? Don't think so. Not for me, anyway. Brazilian wax? HELL TO THE NO! I might have to draw a line in my new experience quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment